Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Loading, loading everywhere.


Having a hard time getting pictures to load lately, so here's something you could try before I run all over this issue: get the MP3 of the Power Records adaptation of Fantastic Four #126 and check it out, either beforehand, or read along. I personally had this record for years before I got the comic, and I got the Power Records version first. It had some heavily, and sloppily, relettered balloons to fit the audio. Eventually, I found a quarter copy of the original, so we'll be looking at those...as soon as everything loads. Here's hoping.

Another good site for Power Records: Power Records Plaza. I've downloaded a ton there these last two weeks (I have dialup, which means some of the individual downloads have taken more than an hour to come through!), including some I didn't have as a wee little brat. I need to find my reprint of the Conan one, "The Crawler in the Mist," and I'm looking forward to listening to it. A big thanks to both sites, since while I still have most of my old Power Records (and some others), I haven't had a working turntable in twenty years or so. And oh yeah, I have barely a vague idea on how to transfer vinyl to MP3.

(Years ago, when I worked in music, I remember reading an article about just that: I recall it involves playing the record through a digital receiver into the computer and recording in 1:1...or something. The article went on, that the sound quality would be at least as bad as the actual record, maybe a little worse; but that there were computer tools to fix that. After that it kind of trails off, into 'why are you doing this?' territory; but a lot of things like these records are never, ever going to be reissued through normal distribution channels.)

My family, of course, figures I'm insane. Small price to pay.

No comments: