Thursday, May 10, 2007

I figured if anyone, comic book fans would know...

Is there a word for this: the feeling you get when you should sympathise with someone, or maybe even do initially feel bad for someone; but after dealing with them they're so unlikable you're glad they get the treatment they deserve? There's probably a German word for it...enmity or antipathy are close, but think more like the death of empathy. When you start with "What can I do to help you?" and end with "Everyone really is right to be against you, you know."

Yeah, could've been a better day at work. To make up for it, we're just going to have a couple pages from one of my favorite comics.
Granted, Stirk's really family-size insane, but he could've absolutely got a job writing for CSI or Law and Order.
Although I think Alan Grant was more or less writing the book by himself at this point, he and co-writer John Wagner did a ton of Judge Dredd; and you can see the influence in Cornelius Stirk. Stay on your meds, readers! I don't care if the docs have you on chloropromazines or Flintstones vitamins, keep taking them or this could happen. Maybe.
Batman's pretty blase about being felt up by a halluncinatory monster, and that's why he's Batman.
It's weird: I have the same appreciation for Norm Breyfogle that others might have for Jim Aparo or Tom Mandrake--both also great, but you see where I'm going with this. Yet, I haven't followed him to other projects, partly because he seems to have moved away from the big names; and much as I'd like to see it, I don't know if I could see him returning to a book like Detective.

Today's posts are from Detective Comics #593, "The Fear, part two: Diary of a Madman" Story by John Wagner and Alan Grant, pencils by Norm Breyfogle, inks by Steve Mitchell. Incidentally, "Diary of a Madman" was also the title of a very entertaining Judge Dredd story, one that seemingly foretells the plot of the 1993 Michael Douglas movie Falling Down, directed by Joel Schumacher, oddly enough. (Hollywood, if you get tired of...'remaking' J-Pop horror movies, there's still a ton to be stolen from 2000 AD.) Something to look into later.

I feel better. And not just because going postal came up, either, promise.

No comments: