Friday, May 22, 2009

Despite literally being on home plate, Deadpool's home run is strictly metaphorical...

Still, probably a better slide than any I ever executed.
Leave it to Deadpool to bring us a less...conventional use of the baseball diamond: first, sparring with Warpath of X-Force on the Field of Dreams set in Iowa!
Am I a bad person for wanting to see Deadpool punt Warpath out of his book?

Then, scoring with his dream date, Siryn!
Perhaps an Iowa native could let me know...they don't let you do this, do they?  Let me know, I have a vacation coming up...
Yep, looks like everything's coming up Deadpool, and everything is right with the world--wait, what's going on here--
Admittedly, I'm not that charming when I wake up in a field, either.
Why would Siryn have an image inducer--
How that bird didn't crap on Wade's shoulder, I have no idea.
--oh, dear God! Ick. Kinda defiled the cornfield, too. And Pool either didn't tuck his mask in, or decided he wanted to try the Cobra Commander look.

Typhoid Mary was an Ann Nocenti creation, and as we may have mentioned before, wrecked Daredevil up; as she organized a multi-villain beating while driving Karen away from Matt. (Again.) DD managed to get her into an asylum once, but her multiple personalities put ads in the paper: one to spring her, the other to kill her. ("It's a daily double!" proclaims Deadpool's buddy Weasel, in issue #4. That was the first issue of Deadpool I read and I've been there most of the way since.) We won't mention her third personality, Bloody Mary...seriously.

After kicking the legs out of Pool's attempts to be a hero, Typhoid strolls out of the book, and I'm not sure what her next appearance was. She recently reappeared in the Marvel Universe, but I don't want to say where since it was a surprise reveal. (Here's a hint: not Thunderbolts.) While she hasn't been in as many comics as that, Mary still has a pretty good win-loss record, and I still have her old Toy Biz Vault action figure. With little straitjacket!

A funny story: when I was in high school, my Grandma rented Field of Dreams, and was really excited to watch it, since she said a friend told her it was based on a true story. About halfway through, when the dead baseball players start coming out of the cornfield, my sister and I glance at each other like what the...? A little later, Grandma says "Wait, that's not right..." She was a little concerned about her friend after that.

Panels from Deadpool #12-13, "Drowning Man, parts 1 and 2" 'A Kelly/Woods/Massengill/Wong/Tinsley/Comicraft/Idelson/Harras Production.' Issue #11 is the slaphappy fun Spider-Man mashup, but these issues show glimpses of Pool's darker side and the goal of redemption slipping away from him. But with a very cartoony style, because that really helps make Deadpool what he is. I mean, if, say, Bill Sienkiewicz drew him...OK, that would be pretty sweet. But it might over-emphasize the violent aspects of the character. Not that the violence isn't always there, but the comedy might not work as well. And then you have panels like this...
Even with cancer-skin, it's tough to feel clean after that.
Try to imagine Greg Land or Jim Balent drawing that one. I think you'd feel a little like, well, this:
Why a Thing figure in the bathroom?  What, you don't?
Uh-huh. Weird to remember that Deadpool was based in San Francisco years before the X-Men headed west; although I guess Daredevil did that first anyway.

No comments: