Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Not an intentional Retro Toy Week tie-in, but...

Hey, when they bootleg your figures, that's when you know you made it, Arthur...
From Aquaman Annual #3, "Tusk 'til Dawn" Written by Peter David, pencils by Marty Egeland, inks by Howard M. Shum. It's the 1997 Pulp Heroes annuals, but David takes his story in this one for laughs, as Aquaman's on the case of his missing partner...the walrus Tusky. Investigating the sunken ship where he was last seen, Aquaman makes a grim discovery: crates full of action figures of himself!

This was a bit of a dig at the Total Justice line of figures, which featured great sculpts, but only cut joints. For example, the Flash and Green Lantern in this early strip I did are TJ, and just seem like they're flexing and gritting as angrily as they can. Oh, and they all came with crazy fractal-armor attachments.

Sod, I might have to see if I can find that Aquaman before the week is up. I couldn't tell you if he actually was the rare figure at the time, but he was reissued a time or two as well: later in the JLA line, I think without the armor pieces; and in a evil-hologram version, based on Grant Morrison's Rock of Ages storyline. They got their money's worth out of that mold!

3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Hah! Good post!

plainwater said...

I had those toys. Even though I was an articulation buff as a kid, I remember liking them for whatever reason. I wasn't even much of a DC person at the time. I wonder what drew me to them.

Wes Grogan said...

Peter David did some very FUN comics, which of course is my one standard of judgment. I do remember the Total Justice line. Man, those really could have been something... but instead, they were just roided out and freaky looking.