Monday, October 04, 2010

Oddly enough, my first glimpse as well:

Well, that may not be quite true, since I saw the movie Swamp Thing in theatres back in 1982...which makes me old, yes. Still, I do believe that this was the first Swamp Thing comic I ever read.

Even though I haven't read all of his work, I usually enjoy an Alan Moore story, and I picked up the Millennium Edition reprint of Saga of the Swamp Thing #21, "The Anatomy Lesson." I probably knew, but always forget that was actually Moore's second issue on the book. Of course, I'd read it before, back in 1985 or so: In DC's Blue Ribbon Digest #61, with such classic stories as "Babe's Story" from Atari Force #8! Oh, I kid; but let's cram that little thing into the scanner and see how it looks.

And it seems odd now, but the 1986 Year's Best, #71, featured Swamp Thing #34, "Rites of Spring," which is pretty much Abby and Swamp Thing having sex. Really doubt DC would even try to sneak that under the radar now, but I wonder how many readers were introduced to the book there?

Art from Swamp Thing #21 and #34 by Stephen Bissette and John Totleben.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm about as old as you because I saw it in theaters too. I picked up the DVD last year for free from a Kellogg's cereal offer!

I had never heard of Swamp Thing before I saw the movie.

The movie holds up very well.

Susan said...

My first Swanp thing was #27 (?), "The Burial". I was ten years old, and it's still one of my favorites out of the God-knows-how-many comics I own now.

And I still like "Babe's Story", along with all my other Atari Force books, dangit! Call me a sucker for offbeat 80's comics.