Monday, June 25, 2012

Fun, yet sad:


So, I got all four issues of Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods a couple weeks ago; out of the dollar box at the comic shop after seeing Avengers again. (Actually, before: I had free tickets, so got the 3D showing, but had to kill like three hours in the mall with the Youngest...) Story by Rob Williams, pencils by Steve Scott, inks by Nathan Massengill. Oddly, Scott would do the first three issues, then Bart Sears would do the fourth. It's good, but I don't know why the change.

It's a perfectly fine Indiana Jones story, possibly the best Indy I've seen in comics. (And it might've done better if they had gone all out and called it Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Great Old Ones.) I'd absolutely recommend it--in trade. I don't say it very often, but go trade rather than single issues. Why? Because this was published as part of a big push for Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull. In the first issue alone, there are five ads for Indy stuff, most of which is probably remembered as fondly as Crystal Skull itself. (In fairness, I thought it was OK, but only OK; and I do feel bad for those who didn't enjoy it even that much.)

By itself? Good. With the ads and baggage and such? OK.

No comments: