Wednesday, May 01, 2013

"Better Living Through Chemicals."


























This one took me a bit longer than I'd expected, partly because I shot it out of sequence; but mostly because I had a lead pipe in mind for "Crackman." One with the traditional bend at the end, straight out of the cartoons. I thought I knew exactly where I had one, in my case full of swords and whatnot; but didn't find it. Now I'm not even sure I actually have one, or if it was only in my head...

"Crackman" is a joke dating back years, since a college friend and I had the notion of "Crackman and Syringe, the Disposable Sidekick." Every issue, Syringe would be a different sidekick: one issue, he's a preteen boy, the next month a six-foot-two Grace Jones type, then a 67-year-old Italian man..."Stay off the pipe!" would be his catchphrase, and those were about all the jokes we had for that.

I think there actually was a storyline, where someone maybe was mixing the Scarecrow's fear toxin and Bane's Venom. A Judd Winick issue, possibly? "Scarebeast" ringing any bells? I might even have those issues, but I'm not going out of my way to look that up right now.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Best Batman book that I've read in weeks!

CalvinPitt said...

I laughed much harder at 'Stay off the pipe, fools!' than I thought I would.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Love it, LOVE THIS!

"Crackman", ha! and yeah, you can't have a new and improved batch of joker juice without PCP and Windex. I'd put some bath salts, baking soda, and some of that Honey Boo Boo Child "Go-Go Juice" in it just for the hell of it. It might've worked better. But nicer skit, and great use of that new Planet X Batman. I have so much to make up now....