Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I probably would've bought a clear, ghost version if Hasbro had put one out:


My girlfriend needed an electric blanket last night (neither the dog nor myself are what would conventionally be considered "snuggily") so we made a quick run out. She managed to find one on clearance at Fred Meyer, while at Toys R Us I got the Marvel Universe Nightcrawler figure! I had kind of wondered if I was going to see him in the wilds of the toy aisles, since I thought this last batch of MU was going to be the last under that name before they rolled into Infinite or Platinum or something.

This is, of course, the Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler, who became a member of (Uncanny) X-Force before being made redundant getting killed off in the X-Termination mini-series. (Which was awful. Dumb as a box of rocks and not half as much fun.) As you might expect, AoANC is a straight repaint of the earlier Secret Wars Nightcrawler, who was packed with mohawk Storm. (Check him out in this old strip, "Poolhammer.") Which is fine, and I can't fault Hasbro for trying to get some mileage out of those molds, although they really could use them for a Bug action figure already...

Generally speaking, though, I've forsworn 3.75 inch figures; regardless of character or quality. I couldn't pull the trigger on a drastically marked-down Marvel Universe Nighthawk a while back, and while I'll be tempted, I don't know if I'll spring for the MU Death's Head. (Yes I will. I already have a strip plotted out for him in my head, even if he is the wrong size...) This Nightcrawler is like a lot of Marvel Legends Spider-Man figures: by the time the figure showed up, he had already made his final bow in the comics! He's probably going to stay in package as a display piece for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not glad to have him.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Not bad for that type of figure. The paint job's decent enough even if the nightcrawler on the packaging is better looking in my opinion.

Cool find for cheap.

I don't Marvel or DC re-using molds myself. It keeps costs down(supposedly) and can look good when on the appropriate figures. But you know how it is; they get greedy and run that mold into the ground, saturating the market with figures people may not want.

That being said, damn shame that the variety of characters, a good bunch first time like Nighthawk and Darkhawk, were made for MU, but not ML already? Still waiting on that Jack of Hearts, Quasar, Grim Reaper, Living Laser, and Dazzler figures.

Anyhoo, speaking of figures, I bought 3 of the DCUC signature series figures for 55$. I bought Red Hood, Ocean Master, and chose Monsieur Mallah and the Brain over Ra's Al Ghul. Not regretting that deal so far.
Plus thanks to a freebie by the store owner I helped out, got a that new Marvel Now Cap. He's pretty damn sharp looking.

The Mandroid looks hideous though.


Oh, tried to call you sunday.