Friday, May 08, 2015

Honestly, the Ultimate Universe was dead to me years ago...


Wednesday, Hastings had a drawing for a variant black-and-white party cover of Secret Wars #1, and I won! Thanks to them! I also bought an issue to read, and well...

As a single issue? I didn't love it. As a cog in Jonathan Hickman and Marvel's grand plan? ...enh. Overall, it's joyless. I hate the fancy-pants design of it with title pages and epitaphs, and if you really want to sell the finality of two universes, an entire multiverse ending, maybe don't end the comic with a preview for another book.

Also, Nightcrawler doesn't teleport with a "POP" sound effect; to me that's inexcusable.


Luckily, I did pick up some other books that I heartily enjoyed: several issues of Waid's Daredevil for ninety-nine cents each (although I worry post-Secret Wars, post-Mark Waid, Matt's going to wake up back in New York City, with Karen Page as his secretary and his identity a secret, just like on the TV show, like it was all a dream) and a hardcover copy of Batman: Private Casebook by Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen! That was a swell pick-up, I don't know why I wasn't reading those at the time! And it was $3.99! A steal that washes the taste of Secret Wars out of my mouth!



2 comments:

SallyP said...

Congrats on your win. But yeah, it was pretty depressing. And confusing.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I feel the same way about the UU man. I lost interest after Millar left the Ultimates and then Ultimatui happened, and that was a clusterfuck of epic proportions....and not in a good way. So good riddence I say. But since they're keeping Miles on the main MU, does that mean it'll be like CRISIS, and everybody thinks he's always been there or what?
I hear you on SW so far. I've seen it and read the forums and they're about as divided on what it accomplished so far as I'm sure the rest of the world is.
I'm just waiting on the spin-offs from here, and seeing what sticks. Although with the sneak preview of the post-SW ongoings, not to much gets changed. I'd like to see which characters do get switched/changed, as well as the final fate of the X-Men.
As for DD, you maybe right on that, since that Netflix series is hella popular....and for a good reason.

We'll see.