Monday, November 30, 2015

I stacked these on top of my scanner, so no scans today.


Well, they weren't going to fit in my scanner anyway. And, I have yet to start reading any of these. But, Hastings had their used graphic novels for $2.99, and I picked up this little pile. Spider-Man: Am I an Avenger? is probably, oddly, the one I'm most looking forward to reading. I had the 1990's John Byrne/Paul Ryan issues, but haven't read them in a dog's age. Same for some chunks of Avengers: Legion of the Unliving, although it's fun to try and figure out who was or wasn't dead at the time. The 90's Iron Man/War Machine/Force Works crossover Hands of the Mandarin; I know I read the Iron Man issues at the time, maybe picked the Force Works issues out of the quarter bins later, but never read it all in one sitting.

Indestructible Hulk: Gods and Monster is from Mark Waid's all-too-brief Marvel Now run; so this is like three versions ago. (Some of the post-Waid stuff was rough, then the Doc Green stuff, Secret Wars nonsense, and most recently the Amadeus Cho Hulk.) Still, this little hardback has Walt Simonson art for a Thor guest-spot! And Daredevil guest-stars...which I think was reprinted in a DD trade I just bought, but whatever. Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. features the first fall of the spy organization, and perfectly fine Paul Neary art--but goes with a Bill Sienkiewicz cover instead of a Steranko one! I love the Sienkiewicz one, but that almost seems sacrilegious.

Lastly, we have one of Marvel's many, many attempts at making the Inhumans happen: again from the 90's, the Fantastic Four crossover Atlantis Rising. All I know about this one is that there was a "Collector's Preview for the crossover, which even at the time seemed mighty optimistic: FF was not doing well at the time, Namor's book would be cancelled during the crossover with issue #62, and I don't think Fantastic Force has ever sold decent numbers, although Marvel keeps trying. List price was $39.99 for that one, which also seems optimistic.

I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping to boot, although that probably just means I'll buy more stuff between now and then. We'll see...

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

If I remember right, Paul Ryan didn't have a long run there on Avengers, but he lasted long enough to complete a couple arcs. He started around Byrne's run and lasted through Larry Hama's run, but then was replaced once Bob Harras took over.